About Buffalo Lutheran
Buffalo Lutheran Church began her ministry officially in 1880, when the congregation was incorporated. Since that time, the parish has faithfully served the community of Buffalo, ND.
Notable events in our history:
July 24, 1880: First Lutheran Service held in Buffalo by the Rev. B. Anderson
Sept 6, 1880: Congregation of Buffalo Lutheran Church is incorporated as an independent Lutheran congregation
1912: First church building built.
1917: Joined the Norwegian Lutheran Church of America (NLCA)
c. 1926: Joined the Page Parish, which had congregations in Page, Ayr, Minnie Lake, and Buffalo.
1946: The NLCA changes its name to The Evangelical Lutheran Church (ELC)
1952: Buffalo leaves the Page Parish and agrees to partner with St. Paul's in Tower City.
1953: Buffalo Lutheran Church and St. Paul's Lutheran Church begin their partnership.
1959-1960: Current church building built.
Feb 14, 1960: First service held in current church building.
Jan 1, 1960: The ELC merged into the American Lutheran Church (ALC).
Nov 24, 1979: Mortgage for church building is paid off and the note is burned.
Jan 1, 1988: The ALC merges into the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA).
How to Find Us
Who We Are
We are a Lutheran congregation affiliated with the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA). What does this mean? We preach the Word of God, teach the Lutheran Confessions, give the holy Sacraments to those in need of them, and provide what we can to the people Christ died to redeem.
What is a Lutheran?
What is the ELCA?